What is a Save-the-Date?
A save-the-date card is something you will send to your guests fairly soon after you become engaged so they don’t make plans. This is different from the invitation because it doesn’t give out a lot of information. The save-the-date typically includes the date of the event and location (city). This can also be a great opportunity to include your wedding website. It’s a great idea to send these out because people make plans months in advance and you can this way they can clear the books just for you! Make sure you have finalized your guest list before you send these out!
When should you send them?
You should send your save-the-date cards six to eight months before the wedding. This is especially important if your big day falls around a holiday or if you are having a destination wedding so that the guest can start making arrangements.
Who should get a save-the-date?
- If your wedding takes place on a holiday weekend or holiday, you should send them to every guest.
- If your wedding is in a location that may get booked up quickly, everyone should get a save-the-date. For example, if you are getting married in Louisville, around the Kentucky Derby or in Indiana around the Indy 500.
- If you are planning a destination wedding, everyone should receive a save-the-date.
- If you have a large amount of guests that will be traveling from out of town, those guests should receive a save-the-date.
- Anyone you feel has a busy schedule or makes plans far in advance.
Calendar save-the-dates are huge right now!!! Check these out for inspiration
I love these save the date cookies from flourpotcookies.com. And who doesn’t love a save the date that you can eat? Now remember that guests usually have save-the-dates up on the fridge or tacked on a bulletin board so you may want to lay something in there with the cookie that the guest can keep. These adorable cookies start at $3.75 and they ship nationwide!
Love this idea!!! This save-the-date comes in a multitude of colors and it gives you the opportunity to use one of those engagement photos!!! They are printed on your choice of premium matte card stock, postcards or magnets and you have the option to add printed addresses! One stop shop!
Photo Credit: The Paper Proposal
The vintage feel of this save-the-date is so cute! I love the color palette and the photo chosen!
Photo Credit: Aisle Dash
These do it yourself save-the-date are not only adorable but they will save you some cash! Just choose a photo and download the template here!
I thought this was cute! It clearly shows the theme of the wedding and gives you all the information you need! Awesome idea!
Photo Credit: Ruffled Blog